EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by RollingSilver on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:13 pm

http://www.ds-x2.com/news/The%2BMature%2BWii%2BGame...%2BA%2BDying%2BBreed%253F%2C13457,13457

i think many things i said up to this point is in this blog. mad kudos to the writer

EDIT: the article suggests that publishers and gamers are to blame for the lackluster sales of mature games. it states that publishers didn't make enough of an effort to advertise these games to the public and gamers didn't buy these games due to their two-sided nature - hey the article said it, not me.

i think it is true that gamers are a bit double-minded, but it's not like people have to rush and buy every game instantly. plus, it's their choice; let them buy the games they want, and if they don't want it fine. a consumer's choice. publishers haven't done a good job either in marketing and that's a fact because products are reliant on advertising if they want to succeed; you can't have the knowledgeable audience on your back since they only make a small demographic.

unlike last time when it seemed i was entirely supportive of this article, i wanted to say that this article can be used to combat against console-bashing fanboys who think that wii games don't sell period. i'm pretty sure you can put some weight on a reasonable console-basher if you say that he/she is the reason the games didn't sell after being so loyal to those hd systems. even if madworld or deadspace extraction weren't the titles people were looking for, it's no surprise that we'd see tatsunoko vs capcom or monster hunter 3 meet the same fate as the ones mentioned above, and it would be on the gamers for not buying those titles. after all, they're the ones who were wanting these kinds of game right? just my take on the issue.

as for the publishers, it's on them for not releasing these games to the public. imagine how helpful it would be to these games if they had a 15 second block as an ad. wouldn't that be sweet.


Last edited by RollingSilver on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
RollingSilver
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Posts : 264
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Gyoza on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:02 pm

We need more original m-rated games, original as in originality.
avatar
Gyoza
Next Gen
Next Gen

Posts : 1773
Reputation : 120
Join date : 2009-08-28
Age : 22
Location : Philadelphia, PA

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by darkwingdragon709 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:11 pm

one thing was missin in this blog. the writer failed to mention the games lack of appeal as another reason for sales failin. DS:E as a prime example, i for one will never by EA's table scraps. maybe one day when the game is 20-15 bucks.

darkwingdragon709
NES
NES

Posts : 443
Reputation : 25
Join date : 2009-09-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Jade789119 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:52 am

Godwind wrote:
As for whether these games you listed are worse than PS3/360 titles, I thi
1) Most games rarely show the graphical prowess to wow me. Than again, there are older games that do look better than modern games due to the proper treatment given.
2) A lot of Wii videos and screenshots look horrible. I have absolutely no idea why this is. Most games look far better when playing them at home.

well the people who post the screen shot probably dont want them to look good most i see are pre beta and with metriod prime 3 screen shots look good but never match up to the game
avatar
Jade789119
Next Gen
Next Gen

Posts : 1127
Reputation : 200
Join date : 2009-08-29
Age : 24
Location : CaNaDa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Invaderzzim on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:44 pm

I actually like the censoring of games. I hate seeing blood and gore in games, it's so unnecessary. It really is. There's nothing you can possibly benefit from it...it doesn't look good or anything. Sure i guess it could be a cool added effect to make scary games scarier, but when you're killing stuff and blood is gushing everywhere i really could care less. I really wish most of those games were bumped down to T, making the experience of blood a scarier, rarer, and more thrilling experience because you don't see it as often.

Invaderzzim
SNES
SNES

Posts : 577
Reputation : 127
Join date : 2009-08-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by AxelDemon on Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:08 pm

More ds fps games! With online! RAWR!

_________________


avatar
AxelDemon
Next Gen
Next Gen

Posts : 1967
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2009-08-27
Age : 22
Location : Philadelphia,PA

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/AxelDemon

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Godwind on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:00 pm

Why the fuck did Jaques have to delete EVERY post I made here. Couldn't be a bigger dick, could he?

Godwind
NES
NES

Posts : 484
Reputation : 110
Join date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by SpaniardGamer on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Godwind wrote:Why the fuck did Jaques have to delete EVERY post I made here. Couldn't be a bigger dick, could he?

He probably didn't want the others see you guys bicker. So I can understand that (especially if there are new members here).

And we need games that can cater to everyone with the proper amount of care in it, plus with proper advertisement. These things can make games sell fast
avatar
SpaniardGamer
SNES
SNES

Posts : 533
Reputation : 30
Join date : 2009-10-26
Age : 23
Location : Miami, Florida

View user profile http://youtube.com/user/SpaniardGamer

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by RollingSilver on Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Advertising is a nice thing, but I think a big thing that matters is whether or not the games cater to the most consumers.
avatar
RollingSilver
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Posts : 264
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:50 pm

SpaniardGamer wrote:
Godwind wrote:Why the fuck did Jaques have to delete EVERY post I made here. Couldn't be a bigger dick, could he?

He probably didn't want the others see you guys bicker. So I can understand that (especially if there are new members here).

And we need games that can cater to everyone with the proper amount of care in it, plus with proper advertisement. These things can make games sell fast

Yes, that was the reason. To make it short and simple Godwind, I was calm when I told you to calm down. I only assumed you were hot-headed because of the language, but you had absolutely no reason to tell RollingSilver to "shove it" or to answer my question so rudely and unrespectfully by saying, "Suck it down, Gowind is going to make you his b****." You didn't have to go and insult us like that because you don't even know us. And I never called you names, or swore, or used any capitalization, or exclamation marks when I told asked you to calm down. And neither did I do that in any of your comments or topics. I don't want to argue with you anymore.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Jaques7Chef wrote:
SpaniardGamer wrote:
Godwind wrote:Why the fuck did Jaques have to delete EVERY post I made here. Couldn't be a bigger dick, could he?

He probably didn't want the others see you guys bicker. So I can understand that (especially if there are new members here).

And we need games that can cater to everyone with the proper amount of care in it, plus with proper advertisement. These things can make games sell fast

Yes, that was the reason. To make it short and simple Godwind, I was calm when I told you to calm down. I only assumed you were hot-headed because of the language, but you had absolutely no reason to tell RollingSilver to "shove it" or to answer my question so rudely and unrespectfully by saying, "Suck it down, Gowind is going to make you his b****." You didn't have to go and insult us like that because you don't even know us. And I never called you names, or swore, or used any capitalization, or exclamation marks when I told asked you to calm down. And neither did I do that in any of your comments or topics. I don't want to argue with you anymore.

And one more thing:

You think I care if RollingSilver could be a better moderator than me? He could take the title for all I care, and I could leave anytime I wanted and not even care. I think RollingSilver would be a great moderator and I wouldn't care if he's better than me or not, but only the administrator (Shokio) can provide that type of position if asked. I only became moderator because Shokio asked me too.

And it's a moderator's job to filter out any unneccesary comments anyway such as the arguing we were doing earlier.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by RollingSilver on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:44 pm

Jaques7Chef wrote:
Jaques7Chef wrote:
SpaniardGamer wrote:
Godwind wrote:Why the fuck did Jaques have to delete EVERY post I made here. Couldn't be a bigger dick, could he?

He probably didn't want the others see you guys bicker. So I can understand that (especially if there are new members here).

And we need games that can cater to everyone with the proper amount of care in it, plus with proper advertisement. These things can make games sell fast

Yes, that was the reason. To make it short and simple Godwind, I was calm when I told you to calm down. I only assumed you were hot-headed because of the language, but you had absolutely no reason to tell RollingSilver to "shove it" or to answer my question so rudely and unrespectfully by saying, "Suck it down, Gowind is going to make you his b****." You didn't have to go and insult us like that because you don't even know us. And I never called you names, or swore, or used any capitalization, or exclamation marks when I told asked you to calm down. And neither did I do that in any of your comments or topics. I don't want to argue with you anymore.

And one more thing:

You think I care if RollingSilver could be a better moderator than me? He could take the title for all I care, and I could leave anytime I wanted and not even care. I think RollingSilver would be a great moderator and I wouldn't care if he's better than me or not, but only the administrator (Shokio) can provide that type of position if asked. I only became moderator because Shokio asked me too.

And it's a moderator's job to filter out any unneccesary comments anyway such as the arguing we were doing earlier.

All right, that's enough Jaques7chef. I think it would've helped a bit if you actually responded to the article to show that you aren't completely off the subject. Plus it's not like what you're saying is changing anybody's minds. Aww hell, you just brought up something that should've been left for PM'ing rather than on the open topics.

Pfft, let's put all this weird talk out of mind and focus on the topic itself. What do you think about this article Chef?
avatar
RollingSilver
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Posts : 264
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:20 am

@Rolling
Okay, I just needed to get that out of my system. No more weirdness then.

Now about the article:

To be honest, I don't think it's the Mature games, or lack there of, that's causing developers to not make a huge profit on the Wii, I think it's the people's restricting of broadening their own horizons, whether the title is Mature or not because they aren't used to the change that's happening with a game company, or Nintendo for this matter. Do they really expect a game with blood, guns, content, and blood in very single game every single day? Do they really expect every game to be an FPS or an RPG? Why not take a break from that and relax, and try something new for a change?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by RollingSilver on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:37 am

Hmm... it's nice to see a variety every now and then instead of the same 'ol blood and guns. But if those games were to seek success it's up to the publishers to do a damn good job in marketing them since a product needs to be known to be purchased. It's also up to the consumer to buy a product or not and that's a big factor; if the product is purchased, it's a win-win if the consumer is happy. If not, then oh well...

But we're not seeing that in some games, mostly Wii games. Publishers expect record breaking numbers just because the Wii has an enormous install-base, yet they need to be aware that the only way people among that install base can buy a game if they HEAR of it first. A small ad in a mainstream magazine would work or a TV commercial. Ads in gaming sites and magazines are good but they're not enough. Unless people want to see their games sell, the need to make sure that they get a good marketing strategy.

As for the gamers, sure there are times when people don't see the game they're looking for, but it's impossible to say that nobody, and absolutely nobody is willing to buy a certain game that looks different from the others. After all, people usually say that they won't buy a game because it doesn't fit them, but that's just themselves talking; one may not like it but another person might. You bought Dead Space Extraction and had some fun with it right? If you and over 9000 people (hehe OVAR 9000!!!) bought it, then why can't some other folks? I bet this game's selling one by one copy as I speak.

I digressed a bit, but the point I'm making here is that any game could sell as long as there's a good flow between the publisher's part and the consumer's part, but unless the developers do a good job with the game, then we can see the two work. The consumer's role is the deal-breaker, but hey, the developer's first move ends with the consumer's purchase with the help of the publisher's strategies.
avatar
RollingSilver
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Posts : 264
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Godwind on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:32 am

Jaques7Chef wrote:
SpaniardGamer wrote:
Godwind wrote:Why the fuck did Jaques have to delete EVERY post I made here. Couldn't be a bigger dick, could he?

He probably didn't want the others see you guys bicker. So I can understand that (especially if there are new members here).

And we need games that can cater to everyone with the proper amount of care in it, plus with proper advertisement. These things can make games sell fast

Yes, that was the reason. To make it short and simple Godwind, I was calm when I told you to calm down. I only assumed you were hot-headed because of the language, but you had absolutely no reason to tell RollingSilver to "shove it" or to answer my question so rudely and unrespectfully by saying, "Suck it down, Gowind is going to make you his b****." You didn't have to go and insult us like that because you don't even know us. And I never called you names, or swore, or used any capitalization, or exclamation marks when I told asked you to calm down. And neither did I do that in any of your comments or topics. I don't want to argue with you anymore.

And yet you opted out not to use the edit button. That is the major problem I have with you. When I wrote my review for The Conduit, everyone got their panties in a twist. So after hours of working on that damn review, what do you do? You delete it. You cover it and say "well I meant to lock the thread. Feel free to repost it if you want." But I felt forgiving and decided "Hell, maybe it was an honest mistake. More likely so, he is full of shit, but I'll be forgiving."

So given a second scenario, how do you deal with it? You delete every post I made, period. Given the fact my posts were more relevant to the topic than you were. Rather than opting to use the edit button (As a former moderator and administrator I am quite well sure that well does exist, so don't tell me it doesn't. That would be a lie) to remove out our arguments and maintain the discussion I was having with RollingSilver.

Also, those sentences you are quoting are video game allusions.
The Shove it is a reference to the Video game "Shove It! The Warehouse Game."
The Second one was a Daikatana reference "John Romero's About To Make You His Bitch. Suck It Down."


RollingSilver wrote:Hmm... it's nice to see a variety every now and then instead of the same 'ol blood and guns. But if those games were to seek success it's up to the publishers to do a damn good job in marketing them since a product needs to be known to be purchased. It's also up to the consumer to buy a product or not and that's a big factor; if the product is purchased, it's a win-win if the consumer is happy. If not, then oh well...

We could complain about the same old blood and guns issue however, the diversity for that on the Wii is rather weak. There are about 32 ERSB M rated games, only a handful that look interesting or compelling to me.
And yes, this is information provided by Nintendo.
List of Mature games for the Wii
-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Edition (Own It)
-Dead Space: Extraction
-Madworld
-House of the Dead: OVERKILL (Own It)
-Onechanbara: Bikini Zombie Slayers
-Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
-Call of Duty: World at War (Own It)
-House of the Dead: 2 and 3 Return (Own It)
-No More Heroes (Own It)
-Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Sold it)

Given that, I am sure most of these games will be missed out until the price is right for me. There are other games I would rather pick up first. Plus there are a lot of games I have yet to finish. Keep in mind, not only are they competing for the consumer's money, but for the consumer's time as well.

RollingSilver wrote:But we're not seeing that in some games, mostly Wii games. Publishers expect record breaking numbers just because the Wii has an enormous install-base, yet they need to be aware that the only way people among that install base can buy a game if they HEAR of it first. A small ad in a mainstream magazine would work or a TV commercial. Ads in gaming sites and magazines are good but they're not enough. Unless people want to see their games sell, the need to make sure that they get a good marketing strategy.
Keep in mind there are many reasons for a game to flop. I remember watching Ads for The Conduit. The game really just sucked overall. It was a horrible game with very few redeeming features. Keep in mind many people are multiplatform users and not everyone is forced to buy a Wii game.

RollingSilver wrote:As for the gamers, sure there are times when people don't see the game they're looking for, but it's impossible to say that nobody, and absolutely nobody is willing to buy a certain game that looks different from the others. After all, people usually say that they won't buy a game because it doesn't fit them, but that's just themselves talking; one may not like it but another person might. You bought Dead Space Extraction and had some fun with it right? If you and over 9000 people (hehe OVAR 9000!!!) bought it, then why can't some other folks? I bet this game's selling one by one copy as I speak.

There also games that are cult classics. No more and no less. I already highlighted this earlier but there are some moderator out there already deleted that information.

RollingSilver wrote:I digressed a bit, but the point I'm making here is that any game could sell as long as there's a good flow between the publisher's part and the consumer's part, but unless the developers do a good job with the game, then we can see the two work. The consumer's role is the deal-breaker, but hey, the developer's first move ends with the consumer's purchase with the help of the publisher's strategies.

Well most likely every game has sold at least one copy. Most games aren't worth most people's time. Some games come at the worst times. Some games have bad development ideas.

Godwind
NES
NES

Posts : 484
Reputation : 110
Join date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by RollingSilver on Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:58 pm

Godwind wrote:
RollingSilver wrote:But we're not seeing that in some games, mostly Wii games. Publishers expect record breaking numbers just because the Wii has an enormous install-base, yet they need to be aware that the only way people among that install base can buy a game if they HEAR of it first. A small ad in a mainstream magazine would work or a TV commercial. Ads in gaming sites and magazines are good but they're not enough. Unless people want to see their games sell, the need to make sure that they get a good marketing strategy.
Keep in mind there are many reasons for a game to flop. I remember watching Ads for The Conduit. The game really just sucked overall. It was a horrible game with very few redeeming features. Keep in mind many people are multiplatform users and not everyone is forced to buy a Wii game.

True that, it's our choice to buy a game at any time. Going back to the Conduit, you mentioned that a lot of people owned multiple consoles and that could be the nail in the coffin for the game's failure since the second console these people own are already ridden with shooters. Asides from the Conduit being mediocre to others, I still think this game could have done well with a clever strategy, yeah I'm dragging this whole marketing thing to the grave Razz.

Though I'm not sure that something like this could work at such a late time but why not film someone using the controls of a game and synchronize them with the gameplay itself as well as throw in a few descriptive soundbytes. Hmm, if it was still 2006 I bet it could worked...
avatar
RollingSilver
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Posts : 264
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by AxelDemon on Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:36 pm

Guys! Shut up.

_________________


avatar
AxelDemon
Next Gen
Next Gen

Posts : 1967
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2009-08-27
Age : 22
Location : Philadelphia,PA

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/AxelDemon

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by RollingSilver on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:24 pm

AxelDemon wrote:Guys! Shut up.
I pity the fool!
avatar
RollingSilver
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Posts : 264
Reputation : 35
Join date : 2009-09-17
Age : 27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by AxelDemon on Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:47 pm

*Shakes head*

_________________


avatar
AxelDemon
Next Gen
Next Gen

Posts : 1967
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2009-08-27
Age : 22
Location : Philadelphia,PA

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/AxelDemon

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Godwind on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:33 am

RollingSilver wrote:
Godwind wrote:
RollingSilver wrote:But we're not seeing that in some games, mostly Wii games. Publishers expect record breaking numbers just because the Wii has an enormous install-base, yet they need to be aware that the only way people among that install base can buy a game if they HEAR of it first. A small ad in a mainstream magazine would work or a TV commercial. Ads in gaming sites and magazines are good but they're not enough. Unless people want to see their games sell, the need to make sure that they get a good marketing strategy.
Keep in mind there are many reasons for a game to flop. I remember watching Ads for The Conduit. The game really just sucked overall. It was a horrible game with very few redeeming features. Keep in mind many people are multiplatform users and not everyone is forced to buy a Wii game.

True that, it's our choice to buy a game at any time. Going back to the Conduit, you mentioned that a lot of people owned multiple consoles and that could be the nail in the coffin for the game's failure since the second console these people own are already ridden with shooters. Asides from the Conduit being mediocre to others, I still think this game could have done well with a clever strategy, yeah I'm dragging this whole marketing thing to the grave Razz.

Though I'm not sure that something like this could work at such a late time but why not film someone using the controls of a game and synchronize them with the gameplay itself as well as throw in a few descriptive soundbytes. Hmm, if it was still 2006 I bet it could worked...

If The Conduit was released in 2007, it probably would have met better scores, something on par with Medal of Honor Heroes 2. Speaking of which, does anyone really care for that game?

Godwind
NES
NES

Posts : 484
Reputation : 110
Join date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by AxelDemon on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:36 am

No.

_________________


avatar
AxelDemon
Next Gen
Next Gen

Posts : 1967
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2009-08-27
Age : 22
Location : Philadelphia,PA

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/AxelDemon

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Super Smash Bros. Fan on Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:28 pm

They are not a dying breed. They're just a more rare apperance compared to the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3.
avatar
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DS

Posts : 276
Reputation : 48
Join date : 2009-12-12
Location : USA, Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by sikokiller on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:09 am

no matter if the sales are bad there will always be mature games being released on wii
avatar
sikokiller
SNES
SNES

Posts : 641
Reputation : 66
Join date : 2009-08-27
Age : 28
Location : Tasmania, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by AxelDemon on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:01 am

I hope there is a sequel to madworld

_________________


avatar
AxelDemon
Next Gen
Next Gen

Posts : 1967
Reputation : 133
Join date : 2009-08-27
Age : 22
Location : Philadelphia,PA

View user profile http://www.youtube.com/AxelDemon

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by BIGBMH on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:24 am

2010 looks to be a good year.

BIGBMH
GameBoy
GameBoy

Posts : 31
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-12-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EDIT: mature wii games a dying breed? let's see...

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum